Canada - hello Vancouver.

After a long haul flight from Melbourne I arrive in Canada. Party on, it's festival time in Vancouver. A Car Free Day festival in Main Street, which was lined with stalls, music and other festive activities.

It was a long flight from Melbourne to Vancouver at about 15 hours not counting getting in and out of the respective airports. Doing it in one hop is the best way in my books as stopping anywhere just adds time and stress with the eternal security checks.
Marvels of modern times. I have arrived from Melbourne 2 hours earlier than I left. The flight was smooth and service good.  Economy flying on the Dreamliner plane and with Air Canada both are to be recommended.
20190617_000757
Going through customs is efficient with the Smartgate technology and it is a pleasure to be greeted with a smile by officials. I was pondering about the options for getting to my accommodation. I booked a place through Airbnb - Ryan's Guest Suite located near the city and airport. The train was right outside the airport, and Ryan's place was apparently a train and bus ride.  I thought I might as well give a shot.
Compliments to Canada, the train was easy to use, and reasonably priced at $7.20CAD. Not like our Sydney one (expensive) and non-existent Melbourne one (expensive $18 bus then train).  Even the taxis aren't bad at a flat rate of $35CAD.

Today was a day of festival near my location. Vancouver has set of 'Car Free Day' festivals. In this case Main Street was closed to vehicular traffic and the street lined with stalls, music and other festive activities. After checking in and leaving my luggage I walked over and joined friends I met with my wife on a cruise in Croatia for lunch. - Travel is fun when you do actually make good to say hello personally on those meetings where addresses are exchanged. All the more joyous when Kim announced a new family member was on its way.
20190616_125433
The Main street is along street and it was full of people.  Having dabbled in various martial arts I was impressed by this Brazilian dance style Capoeira all done to music. Fun to watch, fun for the participants. I found out there is also a club in Melbourne, might be worth checking it out !
20190616_162335
The festival, lunch was great fun, but it became a bit overwhelming after a few hours. Superhuman I am not, so this tired soul bade goodbye early evening to regain some much needed sleep.
20190616_163737

Navigate to:

Comments