Stanley Park, a pleasant way to bide time.

I spend the day going for a long walk to Stanley Park in Vancouver via the harbour.

My flight to Whitehorse in the Yukon wasn't until the evening so I spent the day relaxing by going for a walk to Stanley Park. I covered a lot of territory on foot today walking over 30km from my stay to the park and back.

I marveled at the gigantic sphere which is home to Science World. I did not enter as I needed some fresh air.

20190617_154241
The harbour was port to commerce, luxury boats and cruise ships as well as a busy sea plane enterprise. No doubt business courtesy of the many cruise ships stopping for the day.
20190617_120450
My walk to Stanley Park wasn't all pleasant. There was a section near the Chinatown area leading to the harbour which looked a bit seedy. I did not linger in this area to be a victim. Stanley Park  is however a very pleasant area to be in and I am glad that I made the effort. Popular and on approach are the First Nations totem poles (the Canadian equivalent term to the Australian Aborigines - for clarification Wikipedia has more detail).
20190617_125453
There is also some modern man effigies such as this bronze sculpture.
20190617_131240
For me however, it's nature: the trees, sea shore and wildlife. An escape from the omnipresent city.
20190617_133705
20190617_133843
On the way back I caught the ferry service, which was quite funky and had the practical advantage of saving me a bit of time (which seemed to be eroding quickly) - I had a plane to catch !
20190617_154331
I did manage to catch my plane to Whitehorse without stress.  I flew with Air North and have nothing but praise for their service. Generous baggage allowance, friendly staff and the best food I've every had on economy class !
20190617_220755
Arriving near midnight, it was quite eerie to be in a daylight setting. Welcome to the north's summer.


Navigate to :

Comments