The roiling waters, prudence prevails.

Before we set off on the river I had a chat with the guides Maxime and Bethany. They explained that the water was quite high and our first day is through a narrow demanding section of class 4 rapids. With only two guides in big rafts, support will be limited and most unlikely as far as my person if things go awry.
Chastened by my experience on the Holmes river and the vivid stories regaled by one of the Canadian Rendezvous attendants "the holes were as big as houses" (thanks David for that embracing regale). I took heed and decided to sit this one out. Live to paddle another day I say.
P7051118
The book I took along, validates my decision as well, with the comment "This stretch of river contains the largest section of technical whitewater of the trip. Long continuous rock gardens..."

The volume of this river and its flow made the Holmes look like a walk in the park.  Over the days ahead I got used to it and was less intimidated, but maintained respect.

The river I will describe as roiling  "to render (water, wine, etc.) turbid by stirring up sediment."  How apt. Wildflowers adorn the river banks to add welcome colour to the moving slurry.

P7051125

We are excite by tracks on the shore, but the animals are shy. (on day one the others claimed sight of a bear, of course yours truly was blind to the occasion).

P7051132

Camp river day 1 sets the scene. Unload the gear, set up and eat heartily. I am glad I elected to use their tent, there are a lot of river boulders to work with.

P7051137

There is a lot of trust in the river levels too. The bank is not that high above the water.



P7051138


Comments