Goodbye Idaho, hello Canada. Welcome to Misadventure.

My next phase of my adventure holiday is cycling a walking.Today I head back to Canada to ride some of the Kettle Valley Rail Trail.
20190721_140428

The drive out was in a direction due north.  The scenery was superb, passing by rivers and over rolling countryside.  The traffic volume was low making for a stress free drive. I stop occasionally at for example this town McCall and enjoy a massive ice cream (2 scoops and you have a pint !) - it was  a hot day.

20190721_144811

 The river country and its beauty carving through the hilly terrain,

OI001441

is polluted by our need to hold on to remnants of our infrastructure of days gone by.

OI001443

At Lewiston Hill, there is a sign boasting of pioneering achievements with the introduction of cars and better roads. The view is fantastic, I am wondering if the grassy hills were once forests - not much different from home I  suppose - we chopped down all our trees too.

OI001451

I am going to digress here a bit. This map shows a journey to the USA / Canada border. Little did I know that it closes at midnight and re-opens at 8am. I thought I had plenty of time and decided to tidy up the car, get a bit of a wash before leaving the campgrounds. Silly me I left my wetsuit booties on top of the car waiting for them to dry. Anyway I left at around 11:00am. With all the stops I got tired and had a bit of a snooze and didn't arrive until 3:00am.


I was non-too-happy but took it in my stride. There was another border patrol and a bit more scenic driving.

P7221921

I was having difficulties knowing all this because the phone company I was using in their wisdom closed off my account ( thank you Freedom Mobile). I paid for two months prepaid and only got one. I was also having issues with my credit card (thank you HSBC) because they thought someone was it was fraud: despite my repeated assertions it was OK. This time the stop credit occurred where I had no phone and the phone was connected to the credit card - AHHHHg !!


Now there was another issue: my car.  When I arrived at Osoyoos, with a lot of cajoling I managed to sort my phone out - fat lot of good anyway given that I only have a week left of my trip and I lost a week. After that, the messages came in.

Breather:- how's this lake I stopped by for a cuppa on the way to Osoyoos ?

P7221922


Apparently my car is overdue and needs to be returned immediately, otherwise it will be reported stolen. I tried ringing Budget and I got diverted to Avis. Avis gave me another number and that number got me to Budget customer support in Mexico. Mexico could not support me so I had to ring the place I hired it from - Vancouver airport. Vancouver airport is busy so I was diverted back to Mexico. I wasted a couple of hours getting nowhere stuff this, I decided to go to a rental depot.  Great the next one is in Penticton which is an hour away.

So off I go and drove to Penticton. The guy at Budget there was really good. Old feller who thrived on customer service. He said that the company he was working for was actually a franchise and it was out of his jurisdiction. He did not let go though and after a few phone calls he managed to sort the issue out. It boils down to Avis taking over Budget, corporate confusion along with my blocked HSBC credit card - which was fixed by me using my spare back up CBA mastercard.  I was so tired I nearly wept with the stress relief, thanked him profusely and set off to get some accommodation.

YH - youth hostel in Penticton had a vacancy so that front was sorted out. A walk and a cooling beer put in the frame of working out the next adventure and there in front of me at the craft brewery was a cycle hire place.

P7231931


.

Comments