Idaho: The Canyon and some sobering concerns with our environment.

Yesterday was exciting on the Canyon run and today we repeated that.  We learn about old and current disrespect of rivers
OI001364 

The Canyon is aptly named. It is has a lot of continuous rapids, with some quiet areas just in case you go for a long float. For me, this is where it is at: good meaty rapids with the canyon scene.

Idaho packrafting

It tested our skills and spills were an outcome for most of us. Yesterday I managed to get through unscathed. Today with a deflating boat my vessel was not quite as easy to stabilise.  We tried to locate the leak but it wasn't until we got back to camp that I discovered it to be in the inflation valve.
OI001431

There is a major portage around the 'big' falls. Some say that it has been run by skilled kayakers. Mincemeat for me, but I am guessing someone will do it in a packraft.

OI001389

Meggie is a competent kayaker as well, she demonstrated a seal launch on a packraft. It wasn't successful today - there is a lot of friction to overcome where a kayak will slide easily.  Apparently yesterday she landed it without an inversion.

Idaho packrafting
Prior to the Canyon we warmed up on a section of the river called the Staircase run located near the North Fork Payette river .
Idaho packrafting
I tried a demo Kokopelli Recon 2019. It was a great packraft. Being made of a different material (same as commercial rafts) it is much stiffer, but is penalised by its weight (8kg vs 3.5 kg). I plowed through the biggest holes and waves without issue. I can recommend it for this style of white water rafting, even a few of hours of packraft hiking in a day would not be an issue. (you will need to look on the Kokopelli web site for a picture).  I would have liked test other rafts such as the Alpacka Gnarwal but the opportunity didn't arise.
OI001428
The staircase gets its name as there some sort of resemblance to a staircase. (Note too that I have a new dry suit made by Kokotat - much lighter and more appropriate for this sport than my other one.)
Idaho packrafting
In the evening we sat down to a nice meal. Fantastic effort by the organisers who are all volunteers. After our meal we are shown some short documentaries. These documentaries made me sad and happy.
  • They exposed  oil exploration in the Arctic Refuge (see also "U.S. vows first oil lease sale in Alaska Arctic refuge this year")
  • A couple - Jenny and Mike Fiebig)  travelled on the Green river and Colorado to Mexico in an open dory. We had a personal talk which is also written up here. What blew me away is what I would say is theft - most of the water from the Colorado is diverted away from Mexico.
    Link “It was incredibly sad to see the river shrink down to a trickle,” said Mike. “[It’s] filled mostly with runoff from agricultural fields. Heartbreaking, where the remaining trickle of the Colorado disappears into the sand. We expected this, but it was still viscerally shocking. ”
  • Some happiness in the foresight early presidents had to stem the thousands of dams planned in order to create wild water national parks. I cannot remember who did what but it's a good read on the internet for example here and here.
  • A fourth talk was on this couple who journeyed through Florida's animal corridor showing how small it is and dangerous a road is to the animals as well as how the so called tropical resorts are far from considerate to nature. A heavily trafficked 8 lane highway is no joy for us let alone a native cat.
OI001438
All in all my trip to Idaho was great and I can recommend the meetup to any prospective traveller. I was made welcome, met a great bunch of people and the rivers were fantastic. I pass thanks to the organisers and to all the buddies I paddled with who made the packrafting safe and fun.


Comments