The story ends and memories linger.

What a journey. I am glad that I was able to participate in this adventure. This experience is what I live for- adventure and that immersion in what nature has been providing us since our world began: a life. The packraft was a great variation to the trip and I am thankful I could bring it along, I am not one to sit down for long periods, the packraft provides me with the action and excitement I need.

It is time to leave and the roiling water is boiling. The skies drip their sorry tears.  Big rolling whirlpool holes appear anywhere.

P7131656 

 I love the last hurrah.

P7131654

Soon it all stops and we are treated to the sweetest tasting strawberries on shore. you won't get these in the supermarket.

P7131662

All hands, it is now it is time to clean and dismantle the rafts.

P7131665

Not to be left out, my raft needs deflation too.

P7131664

A shuttle service comes along on cue upon our job completion. We remark on the tough job these guys have. Mind you it's not for everyone.
P7131666

Some trading has occurred and somehow we are having local salmon for lunch.

20190712_181345

We stay overnight at the airport. There is no chance we are taking to miss the plane.

20190712_173208

In the morning we pack early and our gear is ready, how we are going to get it all on the plane - I am sure it will be worked out. A plane lands, but it is not for us. Another group arrives and jumps in. Our plane is delayed.


20190713_125429 

The cards come out for that final challenge.
20190712_175230

Soon enough though, we are on our way. I never cease to be thrilled by a glacial view.
P7141676

I was talking to our shuttle attendants and they were describing the might of the river. At times the water flow meter is wiped out by flood. As a matter of interest I looked up the US meteorology for some flow readings at Dalton Post. It was at over 120000 cubic feet per second. In metric terms that is 3398 cubic metres per second, that is one mean flow rate !



Comments