Hot weather and thirsty work.

I had images of freezing cold nights, blizzards and all that is associated with a glaciated northern region. Did I expect and was I ready for hot summery weather ?  No.

The sun rises - it never really set - its glare causes a prismatic lens flare in my camera. I suppose I can screw down the aperture on a manual setting or change the angl. I am not in the mood, instant camera, it has captured the scene for me. It is to be a hot (for this region) dry day. 

Maybe this moose antler is a foreboding.

P7071196

Or maybe it isn't. The sun is shining so should we. We are off for a walk up yonder somewhat hazy mountain. I like walking.

P7061192

The start was through lush forest. Berries are around for bears (did I say bears ? - still haven't spotted one) to eat. I did get to taste one of the edible ones, but rather unpalatable ones much to my guide's amusement. Bush tucker, it is a love-hate relationship: love the idea, hate the implementation.

P7071199

This walk soon becomes a challenge, the valley below is a view to behold as we gain elevation.

P7071200 


The foliage is draped like a skirt on the mountain and flowers are bloom in small communities.

P7071221

 Some are an exquisite decoration.

P7071226  
Then in an almost abrupt halt, the terrain is of a crumbling rock fall.  Now we are in the open.

P7071233

It is hot work. I have almost consumed 2 litres of water. I underestimated the requirements, indeed we all did. There is some water on the mountain top, but we cannot take the risk of drinking it because of evidence of animal life. I left my water purifier downstairs of course.


 The terrain gets very steep and the friable surface dangerous.  For two of the ladies they decided the risk was not worth it.

P7071261

  On top the views are outstanding. Every white speck looks to be a dall sheep or goat ? But, like the bears they have privacy issues and we are not graced with their presence. Card shark Kathy (sorry if I got it wrong there is a Kathy, Kate and Terrie on this trip) brought her cribbage board, so it was on with Bethany and Maxime. Meanwhile I reveled in the moment and sunk into a blissful reverie.

P7071250 

Going up presents its challenges, but descending is harder. One of the ladies was suffering in the knees and ran out of fluids. Maxime rushed back up (two of us went forward)  with some drinks and provided assistance. Life is good, some gin and tonic might save the day.

20190707_184452

A debrief and we had the world's problems sorted.


Food was heartily consumed. We earned it today
20190707_191615

The wildfires in the north send their smoke into the mountains and valleys more vibrant in the evening as the sun lowers in the sky. It is a symbolic  sleepy culmination to the day.

20190707_220448>


Comments