The Canadian Packraft Rendez-vous

The Canadian Packraft Rendez-vous was the catalyst for my trip to Canada. I started packrafting in April 2018, did a wildwater course in October in Tasmania and was keen to go places. This event crossed my path at here I am.

When I got to Mt Robson I was soon greeted by Chris and Marilyne who were part of the event organising committee. They asked me if I wanted to go on a quick jaunt on the Fraser river before everyone arrives. Not one to refuse, before I knew it I was dressed, raft pumped, mind pumped, river pumped and we're ready ! (photos courtesy Marilyne - the one day I left camera behind)

OI000579

This was a real test of faith. I bought my raft about 3 weeks before leaving. I had little time to test it as there was not many rivers running and I had an injury on my hand, also work was getting in the way. All it had was a immersion on a section of flat water.

OI000574

The start was a flat section of fast moving water, then we get to a set of waterfalls. A portage was required, we took time to check out the view of the river beyond on a tourist bridge. Looking over the Rearguard falls we were in for a treat :
OI000578

My dry suit was a Helly Hansen sailing suit. It was a bit heavy duty for pack rafting weighing nearly 4kg it is too heavy for the 'pack' part of rafting. For car rafting  it did the job well and kept me dry.
We were presented with what they call a train of rapids. This was a continuous length of large rolling waves for what seemed to be a long way. Disneyland's roller coasters have nothing on this. Yeeoww !

OI000661

It is hard work taking photos on moving water when you are in a craft that's bouncing around. You have to be quick, click shutter, hope for the best and return to the paddle smartly otherwise you are in the drink.

OI000689

Back to the camp I meet up with a great group of people. We are about 20 people, which was a good number that enabled us  to get to know each other and foster friendships. Travellers from the USA, Canada, Australia and nationals from with extended stays from Europe are in the mix. Our common bond, pack rafting and love of the outdoors.

OI000487

There are some van 'RVs' set ups that have given me an idea (oh no !) for when I get home. (thanks Karen for the photo).


What a spectacular backdrop our campsite has. Mount Robson looks proudly over the trees providing a nice wall in the sky for us to look at. (photo, thanks Marilyne)

 
Registration and discussion in the afternoon: we were offered a set of rivers and suggested that there should be a split in the group  to keep it manageable and to accord with individual skill levels.

I (un)intelligently chose the hardest rivers; not realising - (even after my foray today) - that the huge volume of the rivers at this time of the year was going to increase the grading and hence test the skill requirements ie class 2 moves to 2/3, 3 to 3/4 and so on.  So I chose the Holmes river for me in group 1 and the Athabasca river was chosen by the other group.

Our driving is about an hour as we arrange to shuffle cars such that there is a car at the end of the run to do a transfer when we finish. Some our group saw a bear - of course I missed out .... In the water we discuss signals and the route ahead.

OI000434

On a kayaking site we have "A Class 3+ run with an optional class 4+ waterfall. A classic Canadian Rockies river run with fast, cold water. Many rapids anywhere from 400 to 1000 meters in length. There are always great play-spots here; where they are depends on the water level. "
This water was running fast: so fast I reckon it would drag you in just looking at it. 

OI000438<

Running high, we keep away from the banks. But it wasn't long before I'm in the drink. Going over a boulder I didn't apply enough power in my stroke and got sucked back. A bracing stroke continued into air and down a hole and I went with it. Rolling over, luckily I was spat out, and ejected from my craft. It was perhaps a kilometer or more before I could get back in: with a bit of assistance from fellow paddlers.

OI000448

Others followed suit and one lady lost her craft and paddle and swam to an island.  All was good though, no one was hurt and no gear nor person was lost for too long.

We knew where there were areas of danger and took care to take the right approach lines.

OI000433

There was a section of water that a couple of local kayakers warned us about. Fall out and you are in for a long float. Being the first day I and a few others decided to make a strategic exit.  Getting out on a river shore is quite an exercise, first to stop then second to fight your way through the scrub.

OI000460

The highlight for many is the end of the run: the Beaver falls. It is really just part of the flowing water, but it is an exciting grade 4 rapid. I looked at and thought on my first day paddle in a new craft several months from my last paddle, that perhaps sense should prevail.  Others paddled it, many did not and about 50% of those who did; made it without an inversion.

OI000479

There is a track on both sides so sightseers can easily view the carnage !

OI000480

The other river I paddled was the Athabasca river. This river is near Jasper, within the national park. We start just below the Athabasca falls, running through the canyons. This was a lovely more sedate trip that yesterday, just as much fun with the scenery and there were some rapids to play on along the way.

OI000489

The scenery is the big selling point of this river. See Jasper Canada : "the paddler is challenged by rapids and enchanted by magnificent scenery in a canyon setting.".

OI000532

There were some fun rapids, judge by this shot where the head above the water is a person in a packraft deep in a hollow.

OI000546

Every now and again we'd stop for a break. Time to reflect on the beauty of the area as well as seek some relief !

OI000550

After a few hours we finish at a bridge. Yesterday the other group went back and did the Whirlpool river which feeds in to this river. Today we were all tired bunnies and elected to head back to camp.

OI000564

We have a pot-luck dinner where each party brings something to contribute. There is a lot of food and none go hungry.

20190630_205251

There is also a raffle and prize giving. The main prize is a new Kokopelli raft. The grin is contagious, who is going to win ?


One winner, he is happy, we are happy.


Thanks to the sponsors for the prizes,  efforts of the members of Canadian packrafting association and to all of the people I met.  This is the first packrafting meetup I've been to and I have, as most will also mutually attest: had a great time.

20190702_090616

I finish my trip here staying with the winner Lachim.  Along with his partner Denise, he generously allowed me to sleep at his house. It was nice to get a good wash, clean clothes and enjoy the town of Jasper. It was Canada day so the town was abuzz, albeit dampened a little with a good dose of rain.

20190701_121345

As I leave Jasper the next day I get some lovely exit shots of the wildlife and lake scene. Sweet !

OI000714

The memory of this trip will be etched in for quite some time, especially with this souvenir memento rashie - mind you it will be well worn in a year or too !

Comments