Baptised.

I start the day well.  Donning my dry suit I forgot to zip it closed. This was an easy omissione, as the zip is on the back of the suit. As I often do, I did a test immersion, and of course the dry suit was now a wet suit much to the amusement of my fellow adventurers.
P7061141

Luck for me, Maxime had a spare pair of polar fleece trousers. The top - I had plenty. It is all smiles though, I love to be an entertainer.

P7061142

The second day though not as tecnhical was flowing rapidly. I followed Maxime and Bethany closely to stay out of mischief. This was at times tricky as a packraft is a  mobile craft, I paddle upstream occasionally to stay in proximity. The scenery is ever changing and it is a pleasure to be be part of it.

P7061147

Another source of amusement: from my book "The speed of the river picks up substantially where a large tributary comes of the Alsek Range from the right. ... You will see the splash and hear a rumble; be sure to have your gear secured...."  We were supposed to have a lunch just past 'Bear Bite Creek', I changed that. My first and only spill. The speed of the intersecting waters caught me off guard as I was ferry gliding across and in the drink I went. Some distance down stream Maxime through a line to me and I was saved. Self rescue is tricky in fast flowing big water and the cold water sucks away at your energy, I am getting the practice ! Now for lunch.

P7061152

A lot of silt in the water means mud. Care must be taken that there is a firm footing.

P7061167

Collecting fire wood is important prior to camp as often there is little at camp (due to other campers on days before). There is no shortage, this river takes no favour on shore line trees.

P7061181

We land at Sediments creek for a day of sojourn. Well, not really: a walk is on for tomorrow.

P7061189


Comments