Wild water:packrafting on the UNESCO listed Tatshenshini river.

There is something special about a UNESCO. They have nailed their world heritage listings. The Tatshenshini - Alsek watershed is truly a marvel (refer to link):
These parks comprise an impressive complex of glaciers and high peaks on both sides of the border between Canada (Yukon Territory and British Columbia) and the United States (Alaska). The spectacular natural landscapes ....
 P7061139
It was too much work for me to assemble a good group of people along with permits and logistics in a short period of time to do this trip as a self managed trip. I joined with a trip run by Tatshenshini Expediting,  a family owned company who have been around for years. I got to meet Kevin and his family at our launch site and we had a nice introduction lunch.  I had a positive experience with them and their staff and pass on my recommendations heartily.
P7041073
One young 56 year old packrafter, 3 marginally older ladies :) on a much bigger raft and two guides - one for the provisions and the other for the passengers. This intrepid group of adventurers had a great time together in one of the world's most magical places. Our guides were happy go lucky and ever helpful, as a group we bonded well playing cards, chatting and digging in with the chores such as loading and unloading the rafts.
20190707_192232

The Complete Guide to the Tatshenshini River by Russ Lyman, Joe Ordonez and Mike Speaks is a fantastic book to read and have along on the trip. I bought it in the local bookshop in Whitehorse: I had to stem the temptation to purchase more books on different rivers and now I kind wish I didn't.
We started with a collection of passengers in Whitehorse, drive to Haines Junction, lunch and chat at Dalton Post, drive to the Alaskan border to go through customs formalities then camp overnight by the river. Formalities over !

P7041072

Day  1 wasn't overly boring even with the drives, The scenery is superb, especially down the valley to Customs (two lots - USA in and Canada out: quick turnaround !). I was toying with the idea of riding a bicycle from Whitehorse to Haines Junction to Skagway as a loop, it would have been a rewarding one. Enjoyable also was sitting in the old school bus, it really set up the mood of  wilderness adventure.

P7041095

I could not use my tent nor dry suit. My tent needed to be self supporting with strong pegs to deal with river gravel shores, I had an ultra light one for hiking and I did not wish to damage it. I tore the latex cuff of my dry suit due to sharp fingernails (I should have known better, I've used dry suits before.)  No issues;  company equipment was supplied instead and it was in excellent order. I supplied my own booties, gloves, pfd and sleeping gear.

P7051096

Setting the scene for days to come we settle down to a game of cards. I taught the ladies Dhumbal , an addictive game I learned in Nepal and they taught me cribbage, a very technical game that I need to learn. Needless to say there was no match: I had no chance !

P7041081

The food, no complaints there either. Overloaded from lunch now dinner ? Vegetarians are catered for, but you must let the staff know upon booking as there are no shops on the way. Great variety of meals every day as well as alcohol if you wanted it.

P7041082

Night time, what night time ? This is as dark as it gets. We are just past the solstice so daylight prevails. Glad I brought some eye shades.

P7041087


Comments